The Slushers' Adventures in Germany ~ A Marine Family Transplanted in Europe

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Getting Settled in Germany

It has been a very busy week since we arrived. Recovering from jetlag and getting all our admin stuff done has been challenging. All this and no vehicle. Suzie and Brian have been our taxi drivers and we are soooo appreciative.

We got our IDs approved for entry into the gate. It is 100% ID check for all adults, everyday, all day. No exceptions. They even look inside your car to make sure you aren't smuggling someone or some illegal contraband into the base!

We got our Tricare switched to overseas. This had to be done before we could make the medical appts for shots for the boys ~ which had to be done before they could be enrolled in school. Logan is now registered at Patch American High School and Luke is registered at the CDC. We get 16 hours of free care for Luke which I know we will be using!

Our sponsor got a call from a friend of hers yesterday saying that a gold Ford Explorer with SC tags arrived in the vehicle lot. Hmmm, is that what living on base is like?? Sounds a lot like Lejeune! I am not sure how I feel about that...

I really miss my phone! I was holding my Droid in my hands at the airport when we arrived. I said "My Precious" as I rubbed it with a sad look on my face. An American man who flew over with us said Is it a dog or a cat?" I said "Oh no, it's my Droid." LOL. Apparently Germans don't have the same "appreciation" (Read: addiction) to their phones that we Americans do. The contract plans are expensive! We got 3 pay-as-you-go phones but I know eventually I will cave and get another Droid or Iphone... That is one thing I will probably not be able to compromise on. I got to talk with my Mother, Mark's Mom and Rebecca today so that should hold me over for a while!

I better get cracking on this driver's license test! I hear it's a real whammy. I have to pass it or someone else on base will be driving around my Explorer with the SC tags!

No comments:

Post a Comment